Baby born at home after hospital visit

July 30, 2002|by KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI

As an incident commander for Rust-Oleum Corp.'s emergency response team, Stephen Thompson has trained for all kinds of emergencies, but not for the one he faced Monday morning.

At 3:05 a.m., Thompson and his wife Angel delivered their son, Stephen Kyle Thompson Jr., at their home on Spruce Street in Hagerstown.

"I would have rather been in the hospital," said Angel Thompson, 24.

Stephen Jr. put in an appearance about 20 minutes after his parents left the hospital, his father said.

The infant, who was three weeks premature, is the couple's third child and first son.

"He has my receding hairline and my wife's ears," said Thompson from his wife's bedside at Washington County Hospital Monday afternoon.


The couple had planned to have their child at the hospital and had gone there Sunday evening when Angel's contractions were about two minutes apart, Stephen Thompson said.

Angel had experienced false labor on July 21, so this time the couple waited 45 minutes before going to the emergency room, he said.

They said they stayed at the hospital for about four hours and then were sent home by a midwife at around 2:45 a.m.

"Her labor stopped and she was sent home so she would be more comfortable," said hospital spokeswoman Kelly Redmond.

Angel Thompson has always been healthy and had complication-free deliveries with their daughters, her husband said.

She was in labor for four hours and 20 minutes with daughter Linzy, 3. With their second daughter Zoey, 1, she was in labor just 30 minutes, her husband said.

When the Thompsons returned home, Stephen Thompson said he knew it wasn't over.

He was right.

Within minutes of arriving at their home, their 6-pound, 10-ounce son was born.

A 911 dispatcher coached the couple through the delivery, Stephen Thompson said.

He said he helped a midwife deliver his second child at the hospital so he had some idea of what to do.

Adrenaline and instinct pulled him through, he said.

"I was about to tie the umbilical cord with a shoe string when the paramedics came," he said.

Community Rescue Service medics Capt. Chuck Singleton, Brent Bankson and Bob Sanders took over and then took the mother and newborn to Washington County Hospital.

"I feel good," Angel Thompson said Monday afternoon.

Her son was placed in an incubator because he was premature but his prognosis was good, she said.

Mother and son should be able to leave the hospital in about two days, Stephen Thompson said.

Having her husband deliver their child was a special moment, said Angel Thompson.

"It was very scary but I knew my husband could handle it," she said.

The Herald-Mail Articles