Advertisement

Gas leak at Fountaindale causes student evacuation

July 17, 2002|by KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI

Students taking magnet school tests at Fountaindale Elementary School were evacuated Tuesday morning following a gas leak, a Washington County Board of Education spokeswoman said.

Board of Education spokeswoman Carol Mowen said a gas line was inadvertently hit while workers were switching a gas meter at 10:15 a.m.

The flow was contained by Columbia Gas workers at the site, she said.

Hagerstown and Long Meadow fire departments were called to the school as a precaution, she said.

Fans were used throughout the building to clear out the fumes and school staff returned shortly afterward, she said.

The final two testing sessions for the Fountaindale School for Arts and Academics were canceled but afternoon interviews were held as scheduled.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|