Bank robber tells cops he needed cash to pay drug dealers

July 11, 2002|by MARLO BARNHART

Accused armed robber Anthony John Holliman told police he targeted the M&T Bank in Clear Spring Tuesday because he needed money to pay off New York drug dealers who were threatening him, Washington County District Court records said.

Holliman, 24, of no fixed address, was being held at the Washington County Detention Center Wednesday night in lieu of $250,000 bond.

Moments after the 10:30 a.m. robbery, the suspect's vehicle was pursued by a citizen and then police who apprehended him after forcing the car to crash near the Interstate 70/81 interchange.

The suspect fled his disabled car and was tackled by Washington County Sheriff's deputies in the median of Interstate 70, Deputy First Class Johnny Marshall said.


Charges include armed robbery, robbery, use of a handgun during commission of a crime, first- and second-degree assault and felony theft, Marshall said.

As the suspect entered the bank, a female customer at the drive-through window saw the gun and alerted personnel at the Clear Spring Amoco across Md. 68 from the bank to call 911, court records said.

Teller Lori Divelbliss told police she was on the telephone when the suspect came in and yelled, "get back and get down," court records said. He allegedly waved the gun around, yelled again and as he approached the cash drawers, the gun became entangled in the telephone cord Divelbliss was holding, court records said.

Once the suspect freed his arms and his weapon from the cord, he reached into the drawer and took some money, placing it in a bag, court records said.

When the suspect came out of the bank and fled, police then learned that a possible witness to the incident was following the suspect's red Chevrolet Geo Prism as it headed east toward Hagerstown, Marshall said.

State and county police converged on the suspect's vehicle at the intersection of the interstates and were able to force the vehicle off the road, court records said.

The weapon, all of the $2,844.90 in stolen money, the bait (dye) pack and the clothing Holliman was wearing were all recovered when he was taken into custody, court records said.

The Herald-Mail Articles