Police: Brother spoke of stabbing

July 06, 2002|by KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI

One of two brothers charged with killing a Huyetts Lane man during a robbery told a confidant the victim came at him with a knife so he beat him with a tire iron and stabbed him, Maryland State Police said.

Police said in charging documents that John Roy Ward, 87, was stabbed multiple times in the back and had head wounds. He died of severe trauma, police said.

Robert Steven Robinson, 42, and Otho Wayne Robinson, 47, of 12463 Gateway Ave., are charged with first-degree murder, first-degree assault, first-degree burglary, third-degree burglary, robbery and theft of more than $500.


Police allege that Otho Robinson helped his brother dispose of items stolen from Ward.

The brothers were being held without bond at the Washington County Detention Center and waived a bond hearing Friday afternoon.

Ward was found dead in his home at 12205 Huyetts Lane on July 1 by his daughter, Sharon Blickenstaff, after he failed to respond to repeated phone calls.

Blickenstaff told police the drawers and cabinets had been opened and appeared to have been rifled through.

Police said in charging documents that an unnamed informant said Robert and Otho Wayne Robinson were at the Sheetz store at Huyetts Lane Sunday evening and discussed going to Ward's home to rob him.

Otho Robinson "stated that he didn't want to go so he waited at the Sheetz for what he stated was over an hour. When Robert returned in the Chevette he advised Wayne (Otho) he had a guy come at him with a knife and he hit him on the head with a tire iron and stabbed him," the informant told police.

Police said three watches, a woman's gold wedding ring, a box of tie bars, a woman's ruby ring, a tin with an unknown amount of coins, a lawn mower, a trimmer and packages of deer meat marked with Ward's son-in-law's name were taken from Ward's home.

A box normally filled with several hundred dollars also was missing, police said in charging documents filed in Washington County District Court.

Police said a heavy set white male driving a small car stopped at Cross Road Liquors near Huyetts Lane twice within about two hours on June 30 to buy 22-ounce bottles of Coors Light, according to a store employee.

On July 1, state police Lt. Doug Wehland stopped at the liquor store and noticed a man matching the description given by the employee driving a Chevrolet Chevette in the parking lot.

Police identified the man as Robert Robinson and stopped him for questioning.

Robinson said he went into the store to buy a 22-ounce Coors Lite on June 30 but that he had not been to Ward's home and denied the killing, police said.

A June 30 video surveillance tape from Cross Road Liquors shows a Chevrolet Chevette traveling past the store on Huyetts Lane in the direction of Ward's home at 6:44 p.m.

A 22-ounce bottle of Coors Light was found behind an outbuilding on the Ward's property, police said.

During their investigation, police canvassed the area looking for information about the murder and spoke to a bartender at the 40 West Lounge on National Pike, police said. The bartender identified Robert Robinson from a photo and told police the man sold a lawn mower and trimmer to another bartender Sunday night for $20, police said in charging documents.

The first bartender said Robinson offered him some deer meat, which he accepted and shared with two other men. Police later recovered the meat, which was labeled with the name Danny Blickenstaff.

Police recovered the trimmer and mower from the second bartender and a man employed by Ward to maintain his yard identified them as belonging to Ward, police said in charging documents.

The Herald-Mail Articles