Potomac Street repairs are preparation for repaving

June 13, 2002|by RICHARD BELISLE

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation will open bids soon, possibly today, for a nearly three-mile stretch of South Potomac Street, from West Main Street to the Maryland line, PennDOT spokesman Greg Penny said Wednesday.

That's why borough crews are digging into the stretch of South Potomac Street maintained by the borough, an official said Wednesday. They're checking connections to the water main that runs under the street.

The borough-owned section of South Potomac Street runs from West Main Street to Cemetery Avenue.

Borough Manager Lloyd Hamberger said every connection that runs off the main line to a house or other property is being dug up, checked and replaced if needed.


It's standard procedure to dig up lines and check the connections whenever a street - state- or borough-owned - is repaved, Hamberger said.

"Nothing makes PennDOT madder than to dig up a shiny new street that they just resurfaced," Hamberger said.

The Borough Council budgeted $47,000 for the project, he said. "We knew it was coming."

The 10-man borough crew, working under the direction of Maintenance Superintendent Dennis Benshoff, started the work in late May. Hamberger said there are more than 100 connections that have to be dug up, inspected and replaced if necessary.

The borough has two dump trucks, a backhoe and a compressor to do the work.

The water line under South Potomac Street starts out at 6 inches in diameter and reduces to 4 inches, according to Borough Engineer Jim Valentine. He said it was put in between 1912 and 1931.

The borough crew has to be finished with the connections a month before state crews start resurfacing the street in August.

"We've got to hustle to be done by mid-July," Hamberger said.

He said two PennDOT inspectors are on site to ensure that the borough crew's work meets state standards.

Penny said the cost of resurfacing the 2.9 miles of South Potomac Street to the Maryland line is estimated at $1.2 million.

The Herald-Mail Articles