Advertisement

Washington Heritage Trail receives

May 17, 2002

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. -- The Federal Highway Administration announced Thursday that two grants have been awarded for the Washington Heritage Trail National Scenic Byway in Jefferson, Berkeley and Morgan counties.

The grants, totaling almost $134,000, were awarded to the West Virginia Division of Highway as part of the fiscal year 2002 Scenic Byways Grant Program.

According to Bob O'Connor, Washington Heritage Trail incoming president, the grants represent 80 percent federal reimbursements with the remaining 20 percent to be matched locally with cash or in-kind services. O'Connor said the grants are earmarked to go to compensation for the WHT executive director and for the creation of byways maps and trail guides and the production of training materials.

"These two grants add to the grants already in hand which allow for additional signing and the renovation of the Railroad Station building in downtown Martinsburg for the WHT Interpretive Center," O'Connor said.

Advertisement

The Washington Heritage Trail is one of more than two dozen scenic by-ways in West Virginia. The local trail circles the Eastern Panhandle and ties together over 50 sites, many tied to George Washington and his family.

For more information on the Washington Heritage Trail, visit www.travelwv.com and click on "Follow Washington's Pathway" or call the Martinsburg-Berkeley County Convention and Visitors Bureau at 1-304-264-8801.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|