The Child Connection Inc. gives the following safety suggestions for children:
- Yell, kick and scream if grabbed by a stranger.
- Make sure your child knows his/her area code and phone number, and how to make a collect call in case of emergency.
- Teach your child not to give his/her phone number or address to strangers.
- Encourage your children to use the buddy system and to watch out for each other.
- Get photos taken every six months of your children and keep a photo with you at all times.
- Get your child fingerprinted at a police agency.
- Teach children how to recognize and avoid lure tactics such as a stranger saying, "I'll give you $10 if you help me put this box in my car." It is best to ignore the request, avoid any conversation and run.