Advertisement

Smoke fills halls of Jefferson High School

March 06, 2002

SHENANDOAH JUNCTION, W.Va. - Smoke appeared in the halls of Jefferson High School Monday morning when a motor above an air duct unit overheated, according to a fire official.

Smoke was drawn into the air system when the motor overheated, causing the air system to spread the smoke into the building, said Donald Longerbeam, assistant chief of Independent Fire Co.

Students and staff were evacuated from the building for about an hour while firefighters ventilated the building, Longerbeam said.

Firefighters were called to the high school about 10:28 a.m.

There was no fire in the overheated motor, said Superintendent of Schools Jud Romine.

The unit is expected to be replaced this summer as part of a $2.1 million improvement project, Romine said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|