Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsWva

Storage building fire injures one

February 25, 2002

HEDGESVILLE, W.Va. - A fire seriously injured a 21-year-old man and destroyed a storage building on Ben Speck Road Sunday night, according to a fire official.

Capt. Greg Currence of the Hedgesville Volunteer Fire Co. said one man suffered "serious burns" to his face, neck and right hand after a fire in a storage building at 341 Ben Speck Road.

Currence, who did not release the victim's name, said two men were in the building at the time of the fire. One, he said, was working on a motorcycle while the other was filling up a kerosene heater. The other man was not injured, Currence said.

Currence said the injured man suffered third-degree burns. He was transported to City Hospital in Martinsburg, W.Va. His condition was unavailable Sunday night.

Advertisement

The building, measuring approximately 15 feet by 30 feet, was fully involved in flames when firefighters arrived, Currence said.

Firefighters were able to knock the fire down within about seven minutes, Currence said.

Firefighters were sifting through the remains Sunday night, which included a charred motorcycle and a kerosene heater.

Currence said it is not clear what started the fire.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|