Still perfect - Third-quarter blitz moves South to 16-0

February 04, 2002

Still perfect - Third-quarter blitz moves South to 16-0

By CURT HORNBECKER / Staff Correspondent

No. 4 South Hagerstown 86 Brunswick 74


Richmond 31, Miner 19, Suttle 3, Maas 5, Barish 14, Rideout 10, Norris 4, Totals 32 12-18 86.


Toms 9, Ault 8, Dykes 8, Brown 20, Feldman 23, Maught 6, Totals 27 9-14 74.



Three-point goals - South 8 (Richmond 2, Miner 3, Maas, Barish 2), Brunswick 9 (Toms, Ault 2, Brown 3, Feldman 3). JV - Brunswick, 67-60. (SH: Guyon McNabb 20. B: Jason Anderson 28).

BRUNSWICK, Md. - Bob Starkey might be having just a little too much fun, but who can blame him?

Watching his South Hagerstown boys basketball team clear another hurdle in its quest for an undefeated season is one thing, but the way the Rebels went about it left Starkey grinning from ear to ear.


"Whoever said we were dangerous and explosive was right," the South coach said after a 35-point third period catapulted the No. 4 Rebels to an 86-74 win over No. 10 Brunswick Friday night. "Heck, I'd pay to see us play."

The Railroaders (10-7, 9-5 MVAL) seemed to have control at the half, riding their downtown sharpshooters to a 43-34 lead.

But in the visitor's locker room, South had other ideas.

"We were pumped," said South forward Scott Barish of the Rebels' halftime clubhouse. "There was no dissension at all in the locker room. We knew we had to come out and tighten-up our defense, and that' what we did."

After draining seven of 10 shots from beyond the arc in the first half, Brunswick lost its touch in the second half, and apparently the Rebels found it. Led by Domonique Richmond and David Miner, who combined for 25 of the 35 third-quarter points, South buried five 3s in the final three minutes 29 seconds of the period.

"We could have turned the lights out in the third quarter," said Railroaders coach Jim Sklencar. "I've been in this business a long time, and I have never seen a better second half than that."

The turning point came midway through the third period. Trailing by seven, the Rebels (insert record) went on a 14-0 tear in just over two minutes - culminated by Barish and Richmond three-pointers - that resulted in a 54-47 South lead.

Meanwhile, Brunswick suffered through a drought of nearly three minutes, and scored just six points in the first five minutes 52 seconds, while the Rebels scored 24.

"In the third quarter I thought we had a lot of good looks, they just didn't go," said Sklencar. "(South) just hit the boards and got it down the floor. I don't think it was anything we did wrong."

Despite efforts to close the gap in the fourth period, Richmond almost single-handedly kept the Railroaders at bay, scoring 10 points for a total of 24 in the second half.

The Herald-Mail Articles