Advertisement

Jan. 16 Cracker Barrel crumbs

January 16, 2002

Crumbs from the Cracker Barrel 1/16



Maugansville's only bank opened in the early 1920s and was known as the Maryland Surety and Trust Co. Later, the name changed to the Hagerstown Bank and Trust Co. When President Franklin Roosevelt ordered the banks closed temporarily in 1933, the Hagerstown Bank and Trust Co. reorganized and opened as the Hagerstown Trust Co. The "bank holiday," however, spelled the end of the bank's Maugansville branch. The only banker the town has ever known was Charles E. Riggs.

From the Cracker Barrel

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|