Nursing home fills with smoke from dryer fire
By DAVE McMILLION / Staff Writer, Charles Town
More than 50 people were evacuated from IHS Nursing Home Sunday night after the building filled with smoke from a fire in a clothes dryer, said fire officials.
Cheryl Carnes, administrator of the nursing home, said about 51 residents of the nursing home were taken to the cafeteria at Charles Town Junior High School, which is behind the nursing home along W.Va. 9 east.
Twelve residents were taken to Jefferson Memorial Hospital, said John Sherwood, the hospital's chief operating officer.
Of the 12 taken to the hospital, three were being examined in the emergency room, although they did not appear to be suffering from any major complications, Sherwood said.
Some of the other nine patients at the hospital were taken there because they use oxygen and it was decided it would be better to keep them at the hospital until rescue crews determined it was safe for people to return to the nursing home, Sherwood said.