Shed destroyed, woods burn in Wednesday fire

November 23, 2001

Shed destroyed, woods burn in Wednesday fire


HUYETTS CROSSROADS - A shed was destroyed and approximately a half acre of woods burned Wednesday afternoon after burning trash got out of control, a fire official said.

No one was injured, said Fire Chief Phil Ridenour with Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co.

An official ruling on cause of the fire had not been made as of 4 p.m. Wednesday, but Ridenour said it appeared someone was burning trash in barrels next to the shed near 13217 Resh Road when the shed and adjacent woods caught fire, Ridenour said.

There is a burn ban in effect in Washington County because of dry conditions, Ridenour said.

"It's real dry and it didn't take much to get the woods started," Ridenour said.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office will try to determine who was burning the trash, he said.

It took approximately 15 firefighters almost 20 minutes to put the woods fire out, Ridenour said.


Firefighters from Maugansville and Williamsport Volunteer Fire Department used at least two tanker trucks to extinguish the fire and hose down smoldering spots in the woods.

Marianne Feigley was driving along Resh Road when she saw the smoke.

At first her son, Dustin Stainbrook, thought it was a little fire burning, he said. Then he saw the shed on fire and a lady hollering for help.

Dustin, 14, of Rush Run Road, and his friend, Andrew Smith, 13, of Mount Tabor Road, ran up the hill to get help.

Dustin said he ran to five houses before he found someone home to call 911 around 2:45 p.m.

The fire was near the Spade Road intersection south of the county's 40 West Landfill.

A Maryland State Police trooper and a forester with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources were also on scene. The trooper was called because initially the cause of the fire was suspicious, Ridenour said.

The shed was worth an estimated $200, Ridenour said.

The Herald-Mail Articles