Court briefs

May 21, 2001

Court briefs

Man gets probation in fight with officer

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Chambersburg man who fought off a Pennsylvania State Police officer trying to arrest the man outside a bar in January was sentenced to two years probation Wednesday.

Michael E. Laidig, of 462 N. Franklin St., was sentenced in the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas on one count of resisting arrest and two counts of harassment.

Judge John Walker also ordered Laidig to pay a $250 fine, and to serve 30 hours of community service for resisting arrest. On each count of harassment, Laidig was sentenced to 90 days probation and a $250 fine. Those sentences will run concurrently with the two years for resisting arrest.

"The court takes resisting arrest seriously," Walker said. "I didn't put you in jail because you are 45 and have led a clean life."


According to the affidavit of probable cause, a Pennsylvania State Trooper arrived at the Cabbage Patch at 460 Grant St., at 2:15 a.m. on Jan. 28, to investigate a report of a fight.

The trooper learned Laidig was involved and attempted to approach him in the parking lot.

Laidig did not obey the trooper's orders and became combative, attempting to kick and elbow the officer as he tried to take him into custody in the assault on two women, the affidavit said.

Laidig was intoxicated, according to the affidavit.

The trooper was not injured.

Man sentenced to jail on theft charge

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Shade Gap, Pa., man who racked up more than $2,000 in charges on credit cards he stole from his brother-in-law will spend time in Franklin County Prison.

Franklin County Court of Common Pleas Judge John Walker on Wednesday sentenced Christopher David Tart, 20, to serve from five to 23 months in prison and pay a $200 fine on one count of access device fraud. He also sentenced Tart to five years probation and a $200 fine on a bad check charge.

Tart will also have to pay more than $2,000 in restitution.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, Tart was staying with his sister and her husband, Julie and Jason Witner, in September, 2000.

On Sept. 15, the Witners received a credit card statement that included purchases they never made. Police interviewed Tart two days later, and he admitted to making about $1,500 in purchases, the affidavit said.

A statement for a second credit card arrived Sept. 19, with about $535 in charges that Tart also made.

The Herald-Mail Articles