Advertisement

FAA to give airport $1.75 million grant

May 11, 2001

FAA to give airport $1.75 million grant



By LAURA ERNDE

laurae@herald-mail.com

Hagerstown Regional Airport will get $1.75 million in federal money, some of which will be used to prepare for a much anticipated runway extension.

"Everything we asked for is in there. We're very grateful," said Airport Manager Carolyn Motz.

The Federal Aviation Administration grant includes nearly $500,000 for design and other preliminary work needed before the $56 million runway extension can be built, she said.

It will also pay 90 percent of the cost of snow removal equipment, airfield fire and rescue equipment and the design of terminal improvements. The state and county governments will split the other 10 percent.

Advertisement

The funding was announced in a press release from U.S. Rep. Roscoe G. Bartlett, R-Md.

"The airport is an economic boon and these improvements help the Hagerstown community at large," Bartlett said.

A public meeting on the airport runway extension will be held Tuesday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Maugansville Ruritan Club, Motz said.

Officials from the FAA, Maryland State Highway Administration and the local airport will be on hand to answer questions from anyone interested in the project, she said.

The meeting is part of an ongoing environmental assessment that is required by federal regulations before the runway expansion can be approved.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|