Serving up smiles: Recipe
Hearty Vegetable Soup
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry pinto beans
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry lentils
- 1/4 cup pearled barley
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh celery, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh, white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen, cut green beans
- 1/2 cup fresh cabbage, shredded (optional)
Soak beans. Overnight method: Add 1 cup cold water to pinto beans. Cover and let stand in refrigerator overnight. Discard water and rinse beans. Quick-soak method: Bring 1 cup water to boil. Add pinto beans and boil two minutes. Remove from heat and soak for one hour. Discard water and rinse beans.
In large saucepan, bring water and broth to boil. Add soaked pinto beans, lentils, barley, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, tomato paste and white pepper. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Add corn, green beans and cabbage and simmer, covered 15 minutes.