Boy dies in tractor accident

April 26, 2001

Boy dies in tractor accident

Chambersburg, Pa.


A two-year-old boy died after a farming tractor equipped with a plowing disk rolled over him Wednesday afternoon, according to Pennsylvania State Police said.


Patrick Lehman, of 2456 Edenville Road, died on the operating table at Hershey Medical Center Wednesday evening during surgery to repair injuries to his abdomen and chest, police said.

The boy's father was repairing a malfunctioning tractor at their family farm when the 2:25 p.m. accident occurred, police said.

Patrick was playing nearby when his father started the tractor, which was in gear, and it lurched forward, police said.

"The victim stepped between the disk and the tractor without his father noticing," and the disk ran over the youngster before it could be stopped, police said.


Patrick was found between the first and second rows of disks, police said.

He was taken to Chambersburg Hospital by rescue personnel and later flown from there to Hershey Medical Center.

Patrick was the youngest of Clyde and Brenda Lehman's six children, said Eunice E. Lehman, who said she was Patrick's aunt. She is married to Clyde Lehman's brother Clair.

"The doctor felt there was something more wrong (than the external injuries) and they flew him to Hershey to test for internal injuries," Eunice E. Lehman said.

The large Lehman family, including Clyde Lehman's 12 brothers and sisters, was saddened by the loss of the playful toddler, she said.

"He was a very inquisitive, very normal 2-year-old," Eunice E. Lehman said. "He was just a cute little fella. He really liked the attention of people."

"He noticed people and he liked for people to notice him," she said.

Patrick's death came as a surprise to state police and rescue personnel, who initially thought his injuries were not life-threatening.

The child had abrasions and bruises on his head, chest and legs, Sgt. Josh Pogue of the Franklin Fire Department said shortly after the accident.

The tractor pinned the boy to the ground, but because the ground was still soft from recent plowing, he went into the ground, Pogue said.

Early Wednesday evening the boy's condition was critical but stable and officers thought he would pull through, according to police.

"I was shocked he died," a state trooper said.

The Herald-Mail Articles