Landover, Md., man sentenced, ordered to register as sex offender

April 24, 2001

Landover, Md., man sentenced, ordered to register as sex offender


The wife and family of a Landover, Md., man charged in last June's sexual assault of a 14-year-old girl in Doub's Woods Park were in Washington County Circuit Court Tuesday as he was sentenced to serve four years in prison.

The victim, now 15, was in court with her family.

Frankie Lorenzo Marshall, 34, of 7720 Muncie Road, pleaded guilty to two counts of fourth-degree sexual assault, for which he received two one-year jail terms.

Judge Kennedy Boone ordered those two years to be served concurrently with a four-year sentence for violation of probation for a May 2000 drug distribution conviction. For that conviction, Marshall had received a seven-year suspended sentence.


Boone also ordered Marshall to register as a sex offender.

"I want to apologize to the whole courtroom and this victim," Marshall said, clutching a Bible he brought with him from the Washington County Detention Center. "I didn't know how serious this was until I talked to my counselor."

Hagerstown City Police took Marshall into custody in the 1000 block of Noland Avenue without incident shortly after the incident with the girl last June.

The case was investigated as a crime because of the age difference between the two. By all accounts, the sexual contact was consensual.

In Maryland, sexual contact between an adult and a juvenile age 14 or younger is a crime, even if the juvenile consents.

According to court records, the girl told police she was walking in the 900 block of South Potomac Street at 8 a.m. on June 15 when a man in a car pulled up and began a conversation.

The girl got into the car and they drove to another address and picked up a girlfriend of the victim, court records said.

The three went to South Hagerstown High School and the friend got out of the car, court records said. The victim chose to stay in the car and rode to the park where they had sexual intercourse and oral sex, according to court records.

The girl later walked to South High and told a friend, who encouraged her to call the police.

The girl was examined at Washington County Hospital and released after giving a statement about the events and a description of the man.

The Herald-Mail Articles