Advertisement

Drill gets out of hand

April 13, 2001

Drill gets out of hand



By ANDREW SCHOTZ

andrews@herald-mail.com

Firefighters who were preparing a vacant Sharpsburg Pike house to be burned for a training exercise accidentally started a fire in the basement Thursday.

Chris Mullendore, a firefighter and emergency medical technician with the First Hose Co. of Boonsboro Inc., said he and some colleagues were removing from the house a fuel oil tank that still contained a small amount of fuel. A little of the fuel spilled and ignited, he said.

Firefighters from Funkstown and Hagerstown responded at about 1:30 p.m. and quickly brought the blaze under control.

Brad Giffin, a firefighter and emergency medical technician with the Funkstown Volunteer Fire Co., said no one was injured in the fire.

Advertisement

Manny Shaool donated the house at 10327 Sharpsburg Pike, south of Interstate 70, to the Boonsboro department. The plan was for the house to be intentionally burned to give firefighters some practice at extinguishing a blaze.

Mullendore said his department had been scheduled to burn the house on April 28. Firefighters had readied the house by putting wood boards on the window, taking off shingles and siding and removing lead paint.

Shaool, the owner of Manny's Oriental Rugs & Gallery in Hagerstown, also donated a vacant house next door to the house that burned Thursday.

Mullendore said the second house is to be burned by the Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co.

Shaool could not be reached for comment.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|