Cascade bank robbed at gunpoint

March 30, 2001

Cascade bank robbed at gunpoint


CASCADE - Farmers & Merchants Bank in Cascade was robbed at gunpoint Friday by four men who were still at large Friday night, Maryland State Police in Hagerstown said.

There were two customers and three tellers in the bank's 25331 Military Road branch during the 4:30 p.m. robbery, Investigating Trooper Mike Potter said.

Masked and armed with at least one handgun and an assault rifle, the robbers assaulted one teller and stole an undisclosed amount of cash from the tellers' drawers, Potter said.


Customer Vicky Sison was at the bank counter when the robbers entered the building.

Sison said she froze in terror when one armed man stepped up beside her and pointed his weapon at a nearby teller.

"He yelled, 'This is a holdup. Everybody go down on the floor. Lay flat. Give me all the money. Give me all the money. Hurry up! Hurry up! We only have 60 seconds,' " Sison said.

"I didn't hesitate. I just laid my head down and never looked back," she said.

At least one armed robber hopped the bank counter and stepped on a female teller who was cowering on the floor, said Trooper Wayne Smith, who was also on the scene for the Maryland State Police.

A female bank employee was transported by ambulance to a nearby hospital. A man who accompanied the woman out of the bank said she was "OK" but "shaken up."

A bank alarm was activated at some point, Potter said.

The robbers, who were described as slender black males wearing dark clothing and ski masks, quickly fled the scene in a green car, he said.

Some of their clothing was found strewn along Md. 550 heading toward Thurmont, Md., Potter said.

After the robbery, local police and agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation spent hours questioning employees and customers inside the locked bank. A sign on the door read, "Closed Due to Emergency."

Smith, who canvassed the neighborhood looking for possible witnesses to the crime, said FBI agents would review the bank's surveillance video tape at its Frederick, Md., office.

The Herald-Mail Articles