Advertisement

Wendy's hit by fire

March 25, 2001

Wendy's hit by fire



By DAVE McMILLION / Staff Writer, Charles Town


CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - Fire broke out in the kitchen of a Wendy's restaurant here Sunday afternoon, causing about $100,000 in damage, a fire official said.

Fire officials believe the 3:22 p.m. fire started when grease overheated in a fryer, said Donald Longerbeam, assistant chief of the Independent Fire Co.

When firefighters arrived at the restaurant at 607 East Washington Street, the fire was spreading to the roof, Longerbeam said.

Firefighters cut a small hole in the roof of the restaurant to extinguish part of the blaze, Longerbeam said. Employees also used a fire suppression system in the kitchen to help battle the blaze, Longerbeam said.

It took about 45 minutes to bring the fire under control, Longerbeam said.

Store employees safely evacuated customers from the building when the fire began, Longerbeam said. An employee, Tiffany Carey, of Inwood passed out at the scene, Longerbeam said. Carey was taken to Jefferson Memorial Hospital, where she was treated and released, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Advertisement

Longerbeam said the owners should be able to repair the restaurant, although it may be closed for up to a month.

About 20 firefighters from Independent, Citizens Fire Co. and the Friendship Fire Co. in Harpers Ferry, W.Va., fought the fire, Longerbeam said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|