Goretti 0-2 in tourney

March 17, 2001

Goretti 0-2 in tourney


DeMatha 71, Goretti 63


Gibson 9-16 3-3 23, Wills 1-2 0-0 2, Carter 2-4 0-0 6, Tanner 6-15 4-4 18, Spierenburg 2-4 0-0 4, Breslin 0-1 0-0 0, Davis 2-7 5-8 10, Adenhart 0-1 0-0 0. Totals 22-50 12-15 63.

DeMATHA (71)

Willims 3-6 4-4 11, McCrae 2-4 4-5 9, Garrison 8-14 6-8 22, Collins 6-22 3-4 15, Stephenson 5-5 1-2 12, Brooks 1-1 0-0 2. Totals 25-41 18-23 71.



Three-point goals - Goretti 7-21 (Gibson 2-6, Tanner 2-4, Carter 2-3, Davis 1-5, Wills 0-1, Breslin, 0-1, Adenhart 0-1), DeMatha 3-5 (Stephenson 1-1, Williams 1-2, McCrae 1-2). Foul out - Brooks.


FROSTBURG, Md. - For St. Maria Goretti, it all came down to measurements.


The Stags took advantage of Goretti's passive play in the first half to build a 16-point halftime lead, enough to hold on through a furious Gael comeback to win the consolation semifinal 71-63 Friday at the 41st Alhambra Catholic Invitational Tournament at Frostburg State University's Bobcat Arena.

"When we started to attack to the bucket, things started to get better," Goretti coach Cokey Robertson said. "You're not going to beat a team like that shooting 3-pointers all night and we didn't get back on transition defense that well."

Nationally renown DeMatha (28-6) controlled the paint in the first half, using its burly lineup led by center Jordan Collins, spread across inside the scoring arc to keep Goretti's offense away from the basket.

It translated into a 34-18 lead at the intermission as the Stags used a 18-3 run in the first quarter to establish a working margin. DeMatha scored 16 points in the paint and six others from the foul line while holding Goretti's Rodney Gibson, who scored 21 points in the first half on Thursday, to the Gaels' first basket of the game in the first half.

A different Goretti (25-11) came out in the second half. The Gaels were more active and worked harder to get the ball inside and it worked to their advantage.

Gibson scored 21 points in the second half as Goretti's flow disrupted DeMatha's flow.

"Thank God (we had that halftime lead)," DeMatha coach Morgan Wootten said. "We needed every bit of it in the second half with the way they started hitting 3-pointers. They picked it up in the second half ... we knew they would."

Goretti closed to within six, 67-61, with 29 seconds remaining on a Josh Carter 3-pointer, but DeMatha hit its foul shots to keep the Gaels at arm's length.

Gibson finished with 23 points while Matt Tanner added 18 for Goretti, which hit just 7 of 21 3-pointers. The Gaels face Bishop Walsh today at 3 p.m. for third place in the consolation bracket.

Travis Garrison had 22 to lead DeMatha while Collins added 15. The Stags hit 25 of 41 shots (61 percent) for the game.

"We did a better job attacking the basket and it gave us seams to work with," Robertson said. "You got to take the ball to the defense and you got to take the ball to the middle to make things happen."

The Herald-Mail Articles