Advertisement

March 4 Blast from the Past

March 07, 2001

Blast from the Past



Week of March 4, 1951


City officials are puzzling over what to do about fixing up municipal stadium. In the worst shape are the right field bleachers between the big tree and the new clubhouse.

The stadium is being leased by Eugene Raney, owner of the Hagerstown Braves. Raney has agreed to take care of all maintenance work, and the city has agreed to give him $1,500 toward maintenance operations.

While repairing a 218-year-old house on the Norman Roland farm at Slackwater, Carl Smith, a Tilghmanton stonemason, discovered a Civil War belt buckle about 2 feet within the stone wall of the house. Smith is puzzled as to how it got inside the wall.

Henry's Theatre, at 7 S. Potomac St., is marking its 20th anniversary today: Twenty years since its door were first opened to the public.

Advertisement
Week of March 4, 1976


Sunday afternoon nearly 125 people gathered near the intersection of Mulberry Road and Md. 68 for the groundbreaking ceremony of the new Clear Spring Fire Hall. Town officials say the $265,000 fire hall will be ready by October.

Of the 23 counties and Baltimore City, Washington County is eighth behind Baltimore City and Prince Georges, Baltimore, Montgomery, Ann Arundel, Harford and Howard counties, in serious crime.

Interstate 70 and 81 make it easy for professional criminals to slip into the area and leave quickly.

A majority of the 763 Herald-Mail readers who recently answered a Mail Box Poll question on whether the county should pay part of the cost of replacing the Antietam Creek bridge at City Light Plant said the county should help pay.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|