Williamsport wrestling goes 0-for-finals

March 04, 2001

Williamsport wrestling goes 0-for-finals

By ADELINE STAEBLER / Staff Correspondent

WESTMINSTER, Md. - It might be hard to look at a season ending loss as a positive, but in actuality, three Williamsport wrestlers -- Steve Stone, Matt Allen and Ryan McDonald - and Walkersville's Dan Caywood won second place Saturday at the 2A-1A Maryland State wrestling tournament at Western Maryland College.

Williamsport heavyweight McDonald lost to Oakland Mills' Robert Scott in the finals 13-8; Matt Allen (189) lost to Southern Garrett's John Hayhurst, 6-4 and Steve Stone (130) lost to Atholton's Bryan Radik, 4-2.

The Wildcats had advanced all seven of their wrestlers to the second day of the tournament.

"We had hoped we'd have at least one state champ. With three guys in the finals you've got a good chance of one coming through," Williamsport coach Chuck Martin said. "I felt real confident with McDonald, because he beat that kid last year. I think that overall all three matches were close matches, it just came down to the little things."


Stone scored with 22 seconds left in the first period of his match against Radik, but Radik scored a reversal to tie the match at the end of the period. Radik scored two more points on a reversal in the second period and then rode the match out for the win.

"I think after I got the initial takedown I let up a little bit, I gave him two that period and didn't wrestle him the rest of the period," Stone said. "I went in real nervous today, I don't know why, I guess because it was the finals, but I was real nervous, I was sick on my stomach."

Allen, who lost to Hayhurst 9-0 at the regional tournament, took a 2-0 lead in the opening minutes of the match.

"I know (Hayhurst is) good, a two-time state champ, but I thought I could win. I made a mistake, gave him a lead, and couldn't make it up," Allen said.

McDonald also took an early lead in the finals, but Scott scored an escape and a takedown in the first period to take a 3-2 lead. McDonald pulled within one point in the second period, but was unable to take the lead.

"I think I gave up too many points on the edge. I took him down, then gave up two takedowns. I don't I wrestled very smart there," McDonald said. "And he's too good to be making those kind of mistakes. He's a two-time state champ."

The Wildcats finished in fifth place in the team competition.

"We had a pretty solid quarterfinal round, the semi-final round went o.k., we had hoped to have one more in the finals and in the finals we just didn't do some of the little things that would have paid off," Martin said.

Caywood lost Northern Garrett's Blake Huber , whom he had beaten in the regional tournament, 14-3. Huber took an early lead and kept building throughout the match.

"The fact that (Caywood), a freshman, placed second at a tournament at this caliber is incredible and awesome and I'm real proud of him," Walkersville coach Bryan Biehl said. "He could have been state champion and we're proud of his second place finish."

Middletown's Brandon Keller (140) finished in third place in the tournament. Keller lost to Kent County's Mike Blake 11-4 in the semi-finals. He wrestled back for the chance at third place and beat Southern Garrett's Shawn Shiflett 5-2.

"My (semi-final) was against Blake who's an outstanding wrestlers and I lost to him, but I came back and wrestled a kid form Hammond and tech falled him (in wrestlebacks)," Keller said. "So it was good to get the loss out of my way and get back on top. In the consolation finals I just gave it everything I had."

The Herald-Mail Articles