Police log in Feb. 28 Morning Herald

February 28, 2001

Police log in Feb. 28 Morning Herald

W.Va. man accused of stealing vehicle

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - A Ranson, W.Va., man was in custody after West Virginia State Police pulled over a vehicle for speeding Tuesday and discovered the vehicle and its tags were stolen.

Tpr. F.L. Hammack was conducting radar enforcement on Pa. 9 near North Jefferson Elementary School when he clocked a 1996 Honda Civic going 45 mph in a 15 mph zone at 8:30 a.m., police alleged.

After tracing the license plate, Hammack learned the vehicle was stolen from Frederick County, Md., and the license plate was stolen from Clarion County, S.C., police said.

Mark Walters, 30, was charged with theft in Maryland and with bringing stolen property into the state in West Virginia, police said.


Walters was being held in the Eastern Regional Jail in lieu of bond, police said.

Early morning fight leads to drug arrest

FREDERICK, Md. - An early morning fight Tuesday led to a drug arrest at John Hanson Apartments, Frederick City Police said.

Sgt. Wayne Trapp and Officer Edward Green arrived in response to a call for a fight in progress at 1 a.m. As they approached, they saw a man fighting with a woman.

When the officers broke up the fight and attempted to take the man into custody, police alleged that the man resisted while trying to conceal something in his pocket.

As Trapp pulled the man's hand from his pocket, suspected crack fell on the ground, police alleged. Also found was $2,200 in cash.

The woman had a cut on her lip but didn't need medical attention, police said.

Charges against Ishan Q. Cornish, 19, of 600 N. Bentz St., Apt. 9, include possession with intent to distribute cocaine, possession of cocaine, second-degree assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Bond information was unavailable.

Money, jewelry taken from home

MONT ALTO, Pa. - A resident of Aspen Lane returned home just before midnight Monday and found his home had been entered and money and jewelry had been taken.

Pennsylvania State Police were investigating.

The Herald-Mail Articles