Men sentenced in shooting incident

February 14, 2001|By MARLO BARNHART

Men sentenced in shooting incident

Two of the three men charged with attempted second-degree murder following an Aug. 11 shooting in Hagerstown were sentenced to prison terms Tuesday in Washington County Circuit Court.


Timothy Williams, 18, of Manhattan, N.Y., pleaded guilty to first-degree assault and was sentenced to serve four years in prison. Known on the streets as "Murder," Williams was identified as the shooter.

Judge Frederick Wright imposed a 10-year sentence and suspended six of those years. When released on five years probation, Williams was ordered not to return to Maryland.

Eric Woods, 23, also of New York City, was given the maximum three-year sentence for the weapons charge against him.

All other charges were dropped against both men in exchange for the guilty pleas Tuesday.

Woods, who has at least one alias, is known on the street as "Meatball," according to court records.

The victim, Rashene Wayne Jefferson, told Hagerstown City Police he got into an argument with Woods over a woman on Jonathan Street. The woman was identified in court records as Tokeya Jefferson, Jefferson's wife and Woods' girlfriend.


Jefferson told police he was walking along North Sumans Avenue at 3 a.m. when he heard a shot fired. Seeing no one in the area, Jefferson told police, he began to run when he heard a second shot and realized he'd been shot in the leg.

The third man arrested in the shooting was Clarence Leonard Jackson, 24, of the Bronx, N.Y.

"He was in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Assistant Washington County State's Attorney Steve Kessell.

All charges against Jackson were dropped Tuesday although he was still being held on a detainer from New York.

Originally each of the three men was charged with attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, carrying a concealed weapon, use of a handgun in a felony and reckless endangerment.

Jefferson, 24, of 50 Summit Ave., was wounded in the thigh by a bullet, police said.

Detectives recovered a handgun, which they believe was used in the shooting, at a residence in the 400 block of Jonathan Street.

The Herald-Mail Articles