Prisoner recalls fatal wreck on I-81

February 07, 2001|By BOB PARTLOW

Prisoner recalls fatal wreck on I-81

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - With his broken right leg encased in a foot-to-thigh cast, Gary Lynn Moser Tuesday recalled the events of last Wednesday that led to the death of Berkeley County Sheriff's Deputy John Burkett on Interstate 81 in Franklin County, Pa.


"We were passing a car on I-81 south" when another car came toward them traveling northbound, said Moser, who was being transported to Berkeley County in the back seat of a cruiser. Burkett and Transportation Officer Joseph Miller were in the front seat.

Moser was being returned to Berkeley County to be arraigned on charges of fraudulent schemes. The arraignment took place Tuesday afternoon.

They were traveling on I-81 when Miller said "'look, there's a car coming right at me,'" Moser said.

"He was in the same lane as us. We moved over into the slow lane," Moser said.

But the other car "came right at us. The impact was terrible," he said.


Although his leg was broken, Moser said he tried to help Burkett after the impact.

"I was in the front seat trying to administer CPR to him," Moser said. "But I couldn't reach him. It was like my knee was still in the back. I cupped my hands to try to get them around his lips, but I couldn't. It all happened so quick."

He confirmed what his family had already said - he keeps remembering the crash.

"I'm having nightmares every time I shut my eyes, and night sweats," he said.

Moser, 44, was living in Waynesboro, Pa., although had lived in Berkeley County.

He was arraigned Tuesday on a felony count of fraudulent schemes for allegedly taking $2,200 from a Martinsburg woman in March and not completing the roof and shingle work he said he would do.

He was also arraigned in Morgan County on a misdemeanor charge. The details of that incident were not part of the court documents. He was released on $6,087 bond.

Moser's sister Beverly Hose, 48, of Clear Spring, said Moser was so badly hurt he needed 11 pints of blood.

He was diagnosed in December with lung cancer, she said.

He was involved in a similar situation in February 1989 when his son was run over by a vehicle and Moser tried to administer CPR.

"This was the second experience he's had like this," Hose said.

Her brother also went through one of the first open heart surgeries in the county for children, when doctors opened him up at 7 months of age in 1956 to repair holes in his heart, Hose said.

Moser was to be taken to City Hospital for further examination before his family decided whether to take him home.

The Herald-Mail Articles