Advertisement

Charles Street fire caused by kerosene heater

January 05, 2001

Charles Street fire caused by kerosene heater



By DAN KULIN And MARLO BARNHART / Staff Writers


A Thursday house fire on Charles Street in Hagerstown started after a resident knocked over a kerosene heater, Hagerstown Fire Marshal Tom Brown said Friday.

The fire at 114 Charles St. destroyed the two-story home owned by James Chandler and Janet Walker.

Brown said the fire started in a first-floor room where Chandler was sleeping on the floor. Chandler had filled a kerosene heater earlier, spilling some kerosene into the base plate, Brown said.

Chandler apparently kicked the heater with his foot while he was sleeping, knocking the heater over. The heater tip switch did not trip as it should, Brown said.

The kerosene in the base plate then caught on fire, Brown said.

Chandler awoke when he felt something hot on his leg. He then picked up the heater and tried to carry it out to the porch, spreading the fire as he went, Brown said.

Advertisement

There was an open 5-gallon container of kerosene next to the heater, Brown said. He said that was "a very dangerous condition that could have caused an explosion because of the volatility of kerosene fumes."

No injuries were reported.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|