2 dead in suspected murder-suicide

December 10, 2000

2 dead in suspected murder-suicide


FAIRPLAY - A man and woman are dead of gunshot wounds in an apparent murder-suicide in a home on Fairplay Farms Road Sunday morning, authorities said.


Sgt. Mark Knight of the Washington County Sheriff's Department said deputies were called to a home in the 8000 block of Fairplay Farms Road around 2 a.m. Sunday.

The deaths were a result of a domestic dispute, he said.

The Sheriff's Department had not released the names of the victims Sunday evening because the next of kin had not been notified, Knight said.

Knight would not provide other details.

Both victims were found in a bedroom, said a Sharpsburg Volunteer Fire Company emergency medical technician-firefighter who was at the scene but did not want his name used.


He said the male victim had been shot several times in the torso and died at the scene.

The female victim, who had a been shot in the head, was taken to Washington County Hospital, where she later died, he said.

A hospital spokeswoman said the female victim died at 8:07 a.m.

A dispatcher with Washington County Emergency Services identified the home as 8031 Fairplay Farms Road.

Sunday's shooting was the latest in a series of slayings in Washington County over the past two weeks.

On Thursday, William Leonard Messersmith, 76, of 12019 National Pike was found lying in a pool of blood in his Clear Spring home.

Preliminary reports from Maryland State Police investigators indicated he died of severe trauma, police said Friday.

Police are still looking for the weapon and hoping an official report from the Maryland State Medical Examiner's Office in Baltimore will reveal the cause of death.

On Nov. 27, a 22-year-old mother of two was shot to death by her boyfriend, who then turned the gun on himself at her Noland Village apartment in Hagerstown, according to authorities.

Twyna Lee Katherine Stubbs and Craig Allen Hess, 23, of 300 Garden Drive in West Virginia, were found dead in an upstairs rear bedroom of the apartment around 11:40 a.m.

The Herald-Mail Articles