Advertisement

Holiday house tour: The homes

November 22, 2000

Holiday house tour: The homes

see also: Holiday house tour


1. 425 Potomac St., Hagerstown


Home of Ginger and David Pembroke

This Queen-Anne-style house with Second Empire and Colonial influences was built around 1880. It is part of a historic district.

The Pembrokes have redone the entire house. The projects they're undertaking now are re-establishing the front sidewalk, converting a small closet under the main stairway into a powder room and doing the landscaping.

Highlights:

Most of the light fixtures in the house are original.

The fireplace looks like marble but is actually painted slate.

The family room used to be a room that led to an apartment the owners rented out.

The office/den features a door to a dumbwaiter, and the bookcases used to be windows.

The master bathroom upstairs used to be a bedroom.

2. 1004 The Terrace, Hagerstown


Home of Teri and John Williamson

Advertisement

The home was built in 1915. It is part of a historic district.

Highlights:

The wood flooring in squares was put on top of the original hardwood floors.

From the library, the yard on the Hillcrest side of the house can be seen. A small area there was deeded to the City by Gov. Hamilton's wife to be made into a park.

In the kitchen, the spot where the refrigerator is situated used to be occupied by a wood stove. The Williamsons intend to remodel the kitchen.

In the dining room, there is a china plate with roses that belonged to the White family, who originally owned the home.

All of the moulding in the house is original.

3. 1427 Potomac Ave., Hagerstown


Home of Denise and Tom Remavege

This Colonial house was built between 1920-22.

Highlights:

The hardwood floors were redone.

Each room features period colors.

The front foyer features black-and-white flooring.

4. 1433 Hamilton Blvd., Hagerstown


Home of Carol and Jerry Austin

This is a 1940s brick cottage.

Highlights:

The interior reflects the owners' eclectic imaginations, with items acquired at flea markets and upscale markets, and styles from Renaissance to rodeo.

Furnishings and decorative accents were created and re-created by area craftspeople.

5. 1412 The Terrace, Hagerstown


Home of Donna and Paul Toothman

This home was built in 1999.

Highlights:

The house features a gas fireplace.

Country-decorated downstairs, modern upstairs.

6. 18901 Orchard Terrace Road, Hagerstown


Home of Carole and Tim Shearer

This story-and-a-half brick, cottage-style home was built in the early 1950s.

Highlights:

In the 1960s, two bedrooms and a full bath were added to the upper level.

Ten years ago, the Shearers added a vaulted sunroom and deck beyond the kitchen, and a screened porch off the living room.

Using the house as her palette, Carole Shearer, a decorative painter, has created a jungle bedroom, whimsical painted furniture, painted floors and faux tile.

7. 13602 Rock Maple Court, Hagerstown


Home of Lynne and Dan Smigelski

This Colonial house was built in 1998.

Highlights:

The Smigelskis' affinity for bold colors can be seen on the walls.

The living room features a Victrola that plays 78s.

The sunroom features a lighthouse collection and an antique periscope.

A 1932 slot machine owned by Lynne Smigelski's father is on display in the family room. Please don't touch.

The kitchen features granite countertops and cherry cabinets.

The second floor can be reached from two directions. The steps meet halfway up on a landing, then continue to the next floor.

8. 19420 Longmeadow Road, Hagerstown


Home of Kathleen Wold

This Victorian farmhouse was built in 1868. Additions were done in 1909 and 1990.

Highlights:

Throughout the house, the windows feature wavy glass.

The doorway in the kitchen was the original doorway to the outside.

The library was probably the original room of the house.

The dining room used to be the kitchen. The sink and counters were on the wall that faces the back of the house, so the windows here are shorter than those in the rest of the house.

Outside, there is a smokehouse with an unused pool beside it. Wold plans to turn the pool into a pond.

9. 19933 Lehmans Mill Road, Hagerstown


Home of Cindy and Ron Brezler

The Lehmans Mills complex dates to the 1760s. Originally owned by Gen. Thomas Spriggs, it was part of a 1,500-acre tract along Marsh Run called Spriggs Paradise. The property changed hands a few times before Henry F. Lehman inherited it in 1866 after the death of his father, Jacob Lehman. Henry Lehman reconstructed the mill in 1869, and the brick-and-frame farmhouse in 1876.

Highlights:

The house has a four-bay, two-story brick section with a two-bay frame wing to the south. The main entrance is in the brick section. It now opens into the dining room.

The interior woodwork is original.

The kitchen was returned to the original kitchen of the farmhouse in 1995.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|