Hubs boot Rebels in football finale

November 11, 2000|By MARK KELLER / Sports Editor

Hubs boot Rebels in football finale

Jeremy Petty said he approached his third-quarter extra point attempt Friday like he's approached every other extra point attempt this season.

Still, the North Hagerstown senior knew that it had the potential to be a much bigger kick.

Petty did what South Hagerstown kicker Tony Marker couldn't do - convert a point after touchdown - and made all the difference as the Hubs beat the Rebels 7-6 at School Stadium in the 44th meeting between the city rivals.

"I was thinking this is my last game, could be my last kick," Petty said. "I had a feeling it might come down to that."

The game also turned out to be the last for North coach Glenn Cross, who ended his 19-year career at North, the longest in school history.


"It's been an enjoyable 19 years here in Hagerstown," said Cross, who finished with a 70-121. "We've had some good years and some bad, but the bad years make these good ones even better."

The loss by South (6-4, 6-3 Monocacy Valley Athletic League) eliminated it from the Class 1A playoff hunt. The Rebels were No. 9 in the playoff standings entering the game, but needed a win and a loss Saturday by either Glenelg or Kent County.

Instead, Washington County will not be represented in the postseason for a sixth straight year and the Rebels will have to let the sting of this loss pass before they can appreciate their accomplishments of this season.

"This is always big, the North-South game. You always want to win this one," said South coach Greg Kellick. "Maybe in a week or so it will feel better. But right now, as happy as (the Hubs) are, that's how low we are."

The 2000 season saw major turnarounds for both teams. A year ago, both teams were winless coming into the final week of the season. This year, for the first time in 10 years, both clubs sported winning records entering the traditional season finale.

Please turn to HUBS, B2

As much as battling each other in the first half, the teams fought a driving wind blowing in from the northwest end of the stadium that all but eliminated the passing game in the first half.

The Hubs threw the ball just twice in the first half - one on the game's opening drive that was intercepted by Shannon Suttle, and one on an incomplete halfback pass on the final play of the half.

South had no better luck, missing on all four attempts as the teams went into the locker rooms scoreless at halftime.

The Rebels got on the board on their first drive in the second half, with the help of some North penalties. The Hubs were flagged four times for 40 yards on the drive and David Line took the rest on his shoulders, rushing six times for 39 yards, including a 7-yard TD.

Marker came on for the point after, but his kick never got above the line and South maintained its 6-0 lead.

Much as Line did on South's scoring drive, Zack Stowell was the workhorse on North's next possession. He carried the ball on the final six plays, plunging in from the 4 to tie the score and set up Petty's heroics.

"I can't believe it's over," said North's Frankie McAllister. "We knew this was going to be a big game, our last game ever. What else could you ask for?"

The Herald-Mail Articles