Two plead guilty in March shooting at Noland Village

October 26, 2000

Two plead guilty in March shooting at Noland Village

By MARLO BARNHART / Staff Writer

Two people implicated in a March 16 shooting at Noland Village entered guilty pleas Thursday, to the surprise of prospective Washington County Circuit Court jurors who were expecting to hear the case.

Kevin Bell, 20, was returned to custody after Circuit Judge John H. McDowell accepted his guilty plea to first-degree assault and use of a weapon in a crime of violence.

Bell could be sentenced to 25 years on the assault and 20 years for the weapons violation.

Natalie Nicole Schroeder, 18, pleaded to being an accessory after the fact which carries a possible penalty of five years in prison.

She, too, was returned to custody.

McDowell ordered pre-sentence investigations on both defendants.

Both had originally been charged with attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, use of a handgun in the commission of a felony and carrying a weapon.


All remaining charges were dropped Thursday in exchange for the pleas, both of which were taken at the bench out of earshot of the prospective jurors.

According to court records, Randy Stephens was shot once in the leg during the incident and was treated at Washington County Hospital.

The shooting, which occurred at 4:15 p.m behind Court No. 8 in Noland Village, sent neighborhood children running for cover.

According to court records, Hagerstown City Police Officer Wayne Zimmerer later that night stopped a vehicle matching the description of a Mazda van that was thought to have been involved in the shooting.

Investigators questioned Bell and a woman who were in the van.

That woman told police that Bell, Schroeder and another man came to her apartment on South Potomac Street that night and that Schroeder told her Bell had just shot "Riz," according to court records.

Police obtained permission from the woman to search her apartment and found a Ruger FP100 handgun with one round of ammunition, according to court records.

Police questioned Schroeder the day after the shooting and she told them she was driving a Mazda MPV through Noland Village on her way to work when Bell told her to stop.

Schroeder told investigators that Bell got out of the vehicle and fired his gun at Stephens, who was on the basketball court, according to court records.

Bell got back in the van and Schroeder drove to the apartment they shared on South Potomac Street.

The Herald-Mail Articles