The Associated Press
Halloween's ghastly specters may give your children or party guests the chills, but rich Spider Cookies with cream-cheese frosting will revive their spirits in no time at all.
These treats are easily made and will beguile tasters despite the suitably sinister look of their decoration, devised from black licorice and jellybeans.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 1-ounce squares semisweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black licorice whips, black jellybeans, black decorating gel, assorted Halloween candies
- For cream cheese frosting:
- 2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
To make cookies: Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg, then melted chocolate. Beat in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt until combined. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a roll about 8 inches long. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.