Police arrest chase suspect at his wedding

October 23, 2000|By KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI

Police arrest chase suspect at his wedding

HANCOCK - Timothy Lee Faith expected to ride away from the church in a big black car on his wedding day, but he left in a police cruiser.


Just minutes before Faith and his fiance Kathy McFadden were to exchange vows Saturday afternoon, Hancock police arrested Faith on a warrant stemming from a 90 mph car chase through three states in July.

Faith, 29, of 2 Clay St. in Hancock, was handcuffed at the church and taken to the police station in his tuxedo.

The couple salvaged the day by holding the wedding and reception in the evening, after members of the wedding party paid $2,500 to bail out the groom. Before they could post bail, they waited about three hours for a court commissioner to come on duty and set bond.


"Everybody was appalled," Timothy Faith said Monday. He called his arrest "a waste of taxpayers' money."

Faith was arrested on traffic charges including fleeing and eluding, speeding, driving on a suspended license and reckless driving.

According to charging documents filed in Washington County District Court, Maryland State Police on July 1 clocked a Ford Escort at 86 mph in a 65 mph zone on Interstate 68.

Police chased the car through Hancock into West Virginia and Pennsylvania before losing it on a back road, charging documents said.

Trooper 1st Class J.D. Crawford alleged in charging documents that the driver of the Escort was identified as Timothy Lee Faith.

Crawford ran a check of the car's tags and found it was registered to Kathy McFadden, charging documents said.

"She was contacted and advised that the defendant was in possession of her vehicle that night," said Crawford in the charging documents.

Maryland State Police troopers and Hancock Police said they had tried unsuccessfully to serve Faith with an arrest warrant several times before his wedding day.

Hancock Police Chief Donald Gossage and Maryland State Police Cpl. Ben Townes both said they believed Faith knew police were looking for him.

Gossage said officers had spoken to Faith's family about the warrant prior to the wedding.

He said police were tipped off to Faith's wedding plans by an anonymous source and decided it would be a good time to apprehend him after so many failed attempts.

"He determined the time he would be arrested by making himself unavailable" prior to the wedding, said Townes.

Faith said he had not known he was wanted by police and denies the charges.

"If I knew I would have turned myself in," he said.

Faith said he lives in town and was available if police wanted to pick him up. They didn't need to do so on his wedding day, he said.

About 100 of the couple's family and friends waited at the church wondering what was happening until the groom returned around 6:30 p.m., the new Mrs. Faith said.

"Everyone stayed there and worried," she said.

The wedding took place a little later than planned that evening, and a reception at the Hancock American Legion followed.

Kathy Faith said it took her three months to pick out a dress, send out invitations, and book a church and reception hall. In all, she and her husband spent $7,000 on their wedding.

She said she didn't know what was going on when her husband-to-be was arrested by police.

"I was standing at the door waiting to walk down the aisle," she said.

Kathy Faith said she is glad she was able to get married despite all that happened.

"I didn't let them ruin my wedding. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of ruining my wedding," she said.

The Herald-Mail Articles