Bus, truck collide on Interstate 81

October 23, 2000|By STACEY DANZUSO, Chambersburg

Bus, truck collide on Interstate 81

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - An afternoon crash on Interstate 81 Monday sent six students with disabilities to the hospital when a tractor-trailer rear-ended their school bus.


The bus was carrying students from the Shippensburg (Pa.) School District at 2:45 p.m. when the accident occurred one mile north of Exit 6 in Guilford Township.

Franklin Fire Department Rescue Sgt. Doug Gayman said the students, ages 7 to 16, were not injured but were taken to Chambersburg Hospital as a precaution.

"The children were transported to the hospital for observation," he said.

The students were all wearing seat belts, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

Bus driver Linda R. Minnich, of Newville, Pa., and a woman in a car behind the truck were also taken to the hospital with minor injuries, Gayman said.


"All of the patients wanted to go to the hospital just to be evaluated," Gayman said.

Herry Quarles, the driver of the Roadway Express truck, was not injured.

Rescue personnel carried the students - including four in wheelchairs - off the bus through its emergency exit and placed them in a Fayetteville Volunteer Fire Department MedVan that took them to the hospital.

Fire and police personnel stopped northbound traffic while they were taken off the bus, which had come to a rest in the highway's median after the impact.

The accident happened as the 1999 Blue Bird bus slowed for traffic in front of it and the 1993 Volvo truck struck the bus from behind.

The rear of the bus was dented and the bottom window on the emergency door shattered by the impact, Gayman said. The truck, which was carrying some hazardous materials, was slightly damaged, but nothing spilled onto the roadway, State Police said.

The six-seat bus is owned by Boyo Transportation of Pennsylvania.

The accident backed up traffic several miles in both directions for a few hours Monday afternoon.

State Police have not filed any charges. The accident remained under investigation, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles