'Cats make biggest play to win in OT

October 14, 2000

'Cats make biggest play to win in OT

By MARK KELLER / Sports Editor

WILLIAMSPORT - Williamsport football coach Eric Michael had his Wildcats fired up for something that, in the end, never came about.


The Wildcats defense stopped Smithsburg's Dustin Sier for a loss on fourth and goal from the 1-yard line in overtime to seal a 28-21 Homecoming win over the Leopards in a Monocacy Valley Athletic League game on Saturday.

Smithsburg (1-5, 0-5) won the overtime toss but elected to send its defense onto the field first. Quarterback Adam McAllister scored on a 1-yard sneak and Jamie Grossnickle kicked the extra point to give the Wildcats (3-3, 3-2) the 28-21 lead.

Preparing for the worst-case scenario, Michael stressed the importance of stopping Smithsburg's conversion attempt should the Leopards score.

"We figured they were going to score and told them we need to stop the extra point," Michael said. "We had to make the big play to keep that out."


Instead, the Williamsport defense made the the plays it needed and avoided the extra point altogether.

Sier had runs of 7 and 2 yards to get the ball to the 1. A big push by the Williamsport line stopped a quarterback sneak six inches short on third down.

On fourth down, Sier went to the left side of the line, then bounced back to the right where he was met by Kyle Wilson and his teammates for a loss of two on the final play of the game.

"We haven't played with a lot of intensity all year. Today we played a very inspired game, with a lot more desire than we have all year long," said Smithsburg coach Buddy Orndorff. "Six inches short ... I don't know if that's desire or not. Whatever it was, Williamsport had it at the end."

Smithsburg led 13-0 with little more than six minutes gone in the first quarter. Sier received the opening kickoff, broke through the wedge and down the right side, ducked one tackle on his way to an 86-yard return for a touchdown.

Williamsport drove to the Smithsburg 19, but Grossnickle missed a 36-yard field goal wide right. Three plays later, Patrick Aaron hit Billy Coyle with a 6-yard pass that Coyle turned into a 76-yard score.

"I'm glad we took advantage of our opportunities, because they had the ball pretty much the whole first half," Orndorff said.

Williamsport ran more than three times as many plays (39) as Smithsburg (12) in the first half, and racked up more than twice as many yards (208-97).

Wilson scored on a 28-yard run and Matt Allen on a 3-yard run to give Williamsport a 14-13 lead at the half.

Wilson led the Wildcats with 87 yards rushing, Allen had 76 yards and two touchdowns and Pat Young had 48 yards.

In all, the Wildcats rushed for 244 yards, all without the help of their top lineman, Ryan McDonald. McDonald was serving a one-game suspension for his ejection from last week's game against North Hagerstown.

"We try to take what they give us," Michael said. "If we can get three guys having equal success it makes it really tough on the defense."

Sier accounted for 20 of Smithsburg's 21 points with three touchdowns and a two-point conversion. Aaron completed 7 of 10 passes for 132 yards.

The Herald-Mail Articles