Rebels' mistakes turn into victory

October 06, 2000

Rebels' mistakes turn into victory

By DAN KAUFFMAN / Staff Writer

You can call Mallory Tsetsilas' two-goal performance Thursday a fluke if you must. The South Hagerstown junior won't mind in the least after netting goals in two of the more unusual fashions possible.


Regardless, two goals are still two goals, and Tsetsilas' scores were key to the Rebels' 4-1 victory over Francis Scott Key at School Stadium.

The bounces starting going Tsetsilas' way in the first minute, when a free kick taken by Leslie Spielman from an extreme left angle beat FSK keeper Candice Hibberd.

The shot careened off the left post, then off a surprised Tsetsilas before slowly rolling into the goal past Hibberd and several stunned FSK defenders for a 1-0 lead.


"It was just a reaction to go after it, I didn't even think," Tsetsilas said of the bang-bang play.

South held the one-goal lead until, with seconds remaining in the first half, Spielman took a pass at midfield and beat Hibberd high from 25 yards out for a 2-0 Rebels lead at halftime.

The second goal seemed to relax South a little too much, as FSK took the initiative in the second half, slicing the lead in half on Stacey Hyson's goal on a loose ball in front after a corner kick in the 53rd minute.

"There was a moment I was thinking a tie was in reach," FSK coach Bonnie LaPierre said. "We weren't able to finish."

In the 67th minute, the ball came to Tsetsilas on the right wing, where fate intervened again.

"It was meant to be a cross to the far post," Tsetsilas said of her kick, which instead sailed high into the air and over Hibberd's head before settling in the left corner of the goal to give the Rebels back their two-goal lead. "It went off my foot wrong ..."

It was that kind of night for Tsetsilas and South.

"(The goal) took all the pressure off for me," Buhrman said. "It didn't make it so tense for me, and for them too, I'm sure."

Allison Higgs blasted a shot from the left off Hibberd and into the goal in the final minute of play for the Rebels' final score.

The Herald-Mail Articles