Stabber sentenced to 28 years in jail

September 25, 2000

Stabber sentenced to 28 years in jail

By MARLO BARNHART / Staff Writer

A Washington County Circuit judge Monday sentenced Samuel Hogans to 28 years in prison for a stabbing last October that left his victim partially paralyzed.

Hogans, 19, was found guilty of first-degree assault and carrying a weapon with the intent to injure. A jury of seven men and five women deliberated for just over 90 minutes after an all-day trial.

The former New York resident with a criminal drug and assault record had been charged with attempted second-degree murder but the jury acquitted him of that charge.

"I hate what he has done to me but I can't hate him," said Darryl Dwayne Lyles. He quoted from scripture and challenged Hogans to find God.


Hogans was living at 202 N. Potomac St., Apt. 5, when he was charged by Hagerstown City Police with the Oct. 26 stabbing of Lyles.

Lyles, 33, who is in a wheelchair, testified that "Lex" - Hogans' street name - went to a South Potomac Street apartment where he was staying then and accused him of stealing $500 from him while they were doing drugs together earlier.

Lyles said Hogans went into the kitchen, came back out and began "hitting" him, causing him to go to the floor. Only then did Lyles realize that he couldn't move his body and had been stabbed, not just hit.

According to Lyles, Hogans left the apartment with Lyles on the floor unable to move and yelling for help. But Lyles' ordeal wasn't over.

"He came back and started stabbing me more," Lyles said, breaking into tears. "And I could only move my head."

Washington County Hospital records indicated Lyles had been stabbed at least 12 times in the neck and upper back.

Detective Carroll Braun said Lyles identified his attacker as a man he knew as "Lex" who sold him drugs.

Lyles testified he was on leave from his job at Mack Trucks last October because of marital difficulties. While not working, he was doing drugs and drinking heavily, often with "Lex."

After looking at a photo line-up, Lyles picked out Hogans as the man he called "Lex," Braun said.

Throughout the trial, Hogans sat silently with his attorney, Mary Riley. He didn't testify nor was any defense testimony presented.

When asked if he wanted to speak before his sentencing, Hogans declined.

That silence brought a comment from Assistant Washington County State's Attorney Gina Cirincion.

"His disinterest during this entire trial was chilling," she said.

Judge John H. McDowell imposed the maximum sentences for both convictions and ordered that they be served consecutively with a seven-year sentence Hogans is serving at the Maryland Correctional Training Center.

That sentence was for a 1998 drug distribution conviction and a 1999 assault on a correctional officer, Cirincion said.

The Herald-Mail Articles