Police log for Sept. 15

September 14, 2000

Police log for Sept. 15

Lanes blocked after truck spills lumber load on I-81

Both lanes of southbound Interstate 81 near U.S. 40 were blocked for more than 45 minutes Wednesday night as workers moved lumber out of the roadway after a truck driven by John Robert Caudle, 22, of Peachland, N.C., spilled its load Wednesday evening, Maryland State Police said.

Police said that truck hit a tractor-trailer from behind, and then a UPS tractor-trailer became involved when it hit the lumber, police said.

Police said that UPS truck driver, Jonathan Scott Morris, 31, of Waynesboro, Pa., received minor injuries in the 9:15 p.m. accident.

Damage is reported to deputies at country club

Washington County Sheriff's deputies responded to the following calls Wednesday:

- Damage at the Beaver Creek Country Club was estimated at $1,000 after someone rode a 4-wheeler across seven greens, causing substantial damage.


- Some credit cards and $5 in cash were taken when a purse was removed from a vehicle parked at 14511 Barkdoll Road Wednesday.

- A Mercury Mountaineer parked at Hagerstown Ford, 1714 Massey Boulevard, was keyed, causing damage to the paint.

- A 1989 Chevrolet Spectrum was stolen from the parking lot of J.C. Penney's at the Valley Mall around 8 p.m.

The blue vehicle has Pa. tags CDE 2719.

- A moped, valued at $200, was taken from 19123 Longmeadow Road. The bike is black and yellow.

Deputies investigate complaint of shots fired

Washington County Sheriff's deputies raced to the 14600 block of Maugansville Road for reports of shots fired Thursday afternoon.

When they arrived, they found a family dispute but no actual shots had been fired.

Deputy B.E. Burke's investigation led to no charges in the incident.

Fire officials report chlorine gas exposure at area plant

One person was taken to Washington County Hospital Thursday morning after exposure to chlorine gas at Wheelabrator Inc., 1 Clear Water Circle.

The incident, which occurred shortly after 9 a.m., didn't affect any others at the plant, according to fire officials.

No information was available on the condition of the person who was exposed to the gas.

The Herald-Mail Articles