Advertisement

Grease fire burns woman

September 13, 2000

Grease fire burns woman

photo: RICHARD T. MEAGHER / staff photographer


Grease fireA woman received first-degree burns on her face and hands Tuesday morning in a grease fire in her first-floor apartment at 206 N. Locust St., Hagerstown Fire Marshal John Hersh said.

Lorraine Gipe was taken to Washington County Hospital shortly after the 9:30 a.m. fire. She was treated and later released.

The incident was a classic example of what not to do when something catches on fire on the stove, according to Capt. Kyd Dieterich of the Hagerstown Fire Department.

When the pan flared up, Gipe apparently tried to carry it outside and was burned on the hands and face in that effort.

"The fire should have been smothered with a lid or doused with baking soda or a fire extinguisher," Dieterich said.

Damage to the apartment was minimal, he said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|