Police led on high-speed chase

September 12, 2000

Police led on high-speed chase

By DAVE McMILLION / Staff Writer, Charles Town

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - Police chased a motorist on W.Va. 9 Monday night who drove up to 100 mph on the highway, nearly striking two other cars and becoming airborne after crossing hills in the road, according to Charles Town Police.

The chase, which started about 11 p.m., ended when the man's car struck a guardrail at the intersection of Bloomery Road and W.Va. 9 at the Shenandoah River, police said.

Bobby L. Dillow, 34, of Route 2, Charles Town, was charged with driving under the influence, fleeing, improper registration, speeding, driving suspended, obstructing, resisting arrest, reckless driving, no insurance, failure to use seatbelts and other charges, according to Charles Town Police Chief Mike Aldridge.

Dillow was being held in the Eastern Regional Jail near Martinsburg Tuesday night on $35,000 bond.

Police initially tried to stop the silver Ford Probe on W.Va. 9 in downtown Charles Town because they believed it had been involved in a domestic dispute, according to a criminal complaint filed in Jefferson County Magistrate Court.


When city police approached the car, the motorist spun his wheels and fled, said officer John Jeffries.

Jeffries chased the car east on W.Va. 9, using his emergency lights and siren, the complaint said.

While pursuing the car, Jeffries said he saw the vehicle pass other cars on a double solid yellow line, according to the criminal complaint.

The car also became airborne on hills in the road and nearly struck two cars traveling in the oncoming lane, Jeffries' complaint said.

At Bloomery Road, the driver tried to turn left but ran head-on into a guardrail, the complaint said.

"At this time, I approached the vehicle to arrest the defendant. I asked him several times to get out of the vehicle. He sat in the vehicle with the door open. At this time, I sprayed him with pepper spray. I told him again to get out of the vehicle. He did not. I pulled him out of the vehicle and put him on the ground," Jeffries said in the complaint.

Jeffries said he tried to put handcuffs on the man, but alleged he resisted by not putting his hands behind his back. At that time, Jeffries said he noticed a strong odor of alcohol, the complaint said.

Due to apparent injuries the man suffered in the wreck, Jeffries said he was unable to conduct field sobriety tests. Blood was later taken from the suspect, and the sample was sent to the West Virginia State Police lab in Charleston for analysis, Jeffries said.

The man was kept at Jefferson Memorial Hospital overnight for treatment of minor injuries and released Tuesday for his arraignment on the charges, Aldridge said.

The Herald-Mail Articles