YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsOt

Hub girls win in OT

September 11, 2000

Hub girls win in OT

By BOB PARASILITI / Staff Writer

FREDERICK, Md. - Lindsay Smith put her worst foot forward to give the North Hagerstown girls soccer team the best of results.


Smith stuck out her right foot and flicked a loose ball past Frederick goalie Jen Andrews Monday providing a dramatic end to the game, just 2 minutes, 53 seconds into overtime in a 2-1 victory for the Hubs.

Smith reaped the benefits of Ellery Hamlin's work deep in the left corner. Hamlin dug the ball out and rolled it up field where it came out of a pack of players. Smith turned 20 yards on the left wing of the goal and dribbled it in for the game-winning goal.

"The ball just leaked out and I got to take advantage of it," Smith said. "I stood there and waited for it to come free and I turned and got a shot. I even kicked it with my right foot ... that's tough since I usually shoot with my left one."


After spending much of the first 88 minutes of the game in the middle of the field, the final five minutes of playing time was packed with most of the action.

North controlled the ball for much of the game with a 1-0 lead until the final two minutes of regulation. After spending most of the game just looking for a shot, Frederick made good on a fleeting opportunity to force the game into overtime.

Kat Desirant turned in the same area of Smith's shot, just five yards farther out and unloaded a shot that took one bounce through North's defense and rolled past goalie Emily Clutz into the goal to tie the match.

"Kat usually gets more loft on the ball when she shoots," Frederick coach Domonique Thayil said. "This time I'm glad she didn't. Luck definitely broke our way."

At the end of regulation, North coach Rick Aleshire replaced Clutz, who was emotionally distraught over allowing the goal. With the move, the Hubs went on the attack to redeem their shaken goalie.

Midfielder Megan Hudak made an aggressive move to end the game just 1:15 into the overtime, but got tangled up with Frederick's defense and went down in a heap. She was carried from the field.

Then, 1:38 later, Smith ended the game and Aleshire never knew it.

"I didn't see it," he said. "I was looking to see how Megan was doing and didn't see the play. I think this was an emotional game for the kids. We had our keeper come out emotionally upset and everyone came on to pick her up and we won the game."

Meanwhile, Thayil saw more of Smith than she wanted.

"(Smith) pulled the trigger on her shot all night," Thayil said. "I told the team that we had to watch her in the overtime. She got it and finished it."

The Herald-Mail Articles