Police log for Sept. 6

September 05, 2000

Police log for Sept. 6

Diesel fuel taken from Greencastle travel center

GREENCASTLE, Pa. - Diesel fuel was taken in a drive-off Monday at the TA Travel Center on John Wayne Drive in Antrim Township, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

The theft was reported at 12:30 a.m., police said. An unidentified tractor-trailer driver pumped 140 gallons of diesel fuel into a rig and drove off without paying the $234.93 bill, according to the report.

Man injured after picking up tossed explosive device

MONT ALTO, Pa. - A man was slightly injured Monday evening when he picked up an explosive device thrown from an SUV, Pennsylvania State Police said.

The police report said a bottle, filled with an unidentified chemical, was thrown from a vehicle near the intersection of Pa. 233 and Slabtown Road in Quincy Township shortly before 8 p.m.


Stephen Garrett, 19, of Landisburg, Pa., picked up the bottle thinking the driver was littering, police said.

As he carried the bottle back to his vehicle, it exploded in his hand, according to the report.

The vehicle from which the device was thrown was described as an older model silver of gray GMC or Chevrolet sport utility vehicle. The driver was a white male about 20 years old with white hair, police said.

Ornament stolen from Guilford Township home

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A lawn ornament stolen from a Guilford Township home was used to damage a vehicle at another residence, Pennsylvania State Police said.

Police said the white plastic swan was stolen Saturday night or Sunday morning from the Church Road yard of Ruth A. Poole. About a mile away on Church Road, the swan was used to damage a parked car belonging to Anita Laubs, police said.

Ducts at business ignite; fire causes minor damage

HALFWAY - The exhaust fume ducts at a Halfway business ignited, causing minor damage Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters arrived at Hagerstown Ford at 1714 Massey Blvd. at 3:29 p.m. to find smoke coming from the ducts, said spokesman Alan Matheny.

Firefighters opened the ducts and quickly extinguished the fire, he said.

Damage was estimate at $1,000, Matheny said.

About 18 firefighters from the Volunteer Fire Co. of Halfway and the Funkstown Fire Department went to the fire.

Business owner remains fair after shooting at his home

MARTINSBURG, W. Va. - Business owner Brian Frazee of Pikeside, W.Va., remained in fair condition at Winchester (Va.) Medical Center Tuesday as police continuef to search for the man who shot him in the chest about 1 a.m. Monday.

"Our investigators talked to him today and it seems like he's doing pretty good," said Capt. Ken LeMaster of the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office.

Frazee is owner of Woody's Market on Route 11, although the shooting occurred outside his house near the store.

LeMaster said officers are asking anyone to call who saw a man over 6-feet tall dressed in dark clothes along Route 11 about 1 a.m. Monday.

While no motive has been established, robbery is a likely cause, LeMaster said.

The Herald-Mail Articles