Advertisement

Fire Department fire turns out to be trash can

August 21, 2000

Fire Department fire turns out to be trash can



Hagerstown firefighters didn't have to go far to put out a blaze Monday evening.

An initial call for a building fire at the Hagerstown Fire Department on Church Street came over the police scanner at 9 p.m. but it turned out the fire was in a trash container.

A trash container at Weller's Alley next to the building used by both the Fire Department and the Hagerstown City Market had smoke coming from it and there were flames inside, said Hagerstown Fire Department Battalion Chief Kingsley Poole.

Eight firefighters worked on the fire for about 15 minutes, using water from a tank to put it out.

Debris inside the trash container was burned and some smoke filled the City Market building, he said.

Firefighters used fans to clear out the building, he said.

Poole said he wasn't sure what started the fire and speculated that it may have been caused by a discarded cigarette.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|