Bond reviewed for trio charged in murder attempt

August 14, 2000

Bond reviewed for trio charged in murder attempt

By MARLO BARNHART / Staff Writer

Three men charged with attempted second-degree murder following an early-morning shooting Friday appeared by videotape for bond review hearings Monday.

The victim, Rashene Wayne Jefferson, told police he got into an argument with Eric Woods over a woman early Friday on Jonathan Street.

The woman was identified in court records as Tokeya Jefferson, Jefferson's wife and Woods' girlfriend.

Later Jefferson said he was walking along North Sumans Avenue at 3 a.m. when he heard a shot fired. Seeing no one in the area, Jefferson told police he began to run when he heard a second shot and realized he'd been shot in the leg.

Visiting District Court Judge Janice Ambrose kept Woods' bond at $100,000, noting the charges were serious even though he has no prior criminal record.


Woods, who has at least one alias, is known on the street as "Meatball," according to court records.

Ambrose denied bond for Clarence Leonard Jackson, 24, who gave an address of 214 N. Mulberry St., but has admittedly only been in Hagerstown for two months. He is from the Bronx, N.Y.

In addition to an open warrant in New York, Jackson is on parole for drug convictions in New York, according to Assistant Washington County State's Attorney Susan Lochbaum.

Jackson's street name is "Dawn," according to court records.

The third man, Timothy Williams, 18, of Manhattan, N.Y., was ordered held on $200,000 bond because of an open drug warrant. His street name is "Murder," according to court records.

Each of the three men was charged with attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, carrying a concealed weapon, use of a handgun in a felony and reckless endangerment.

After the shooting, Jefferson left the scene and found someone to take him to Washington County Hospital, police said. He was treated and released.

In the meantime, police arrived at the area where they found no shooter and no victim.

After getting a call from the hospital, police went back to the scene and searched for shell casings. One was found.

Jefferson, 24, of 50 Summit Ave., was wounded in the thigh by a bullet that went cleanly through, police said.

The three who were charged were arrested at about 12:30 p.m. Friday when police received information they were in a taxi in the 100 block of North Potomac Street.

Police said the three were detained for investigation and later charged.

Detectives recovered a handgun, which they believe was used in the shooting, at a residence in the 400 block of Jonathan Street.

The Herald-Mail Articles