Advertisement

Two left homeless following Halfway fire

August 08, 2000

Two left homeless following Halfway fire



By KERRI SACCHET / Staff Writer


HALFWAY - Two people were left homeless after a fire destroyed the kitchen and dining room of their residence Tuesday evening.

Firefighters from Halfway and Funkstown arrived at 8:30 p.m. to find flames billowing out the front and side windows of the one-story home at 11834 Oakridge Drive.

A metal pan containing popcorn chicken cooking in a microwave caught on fire. Flames and smoke filled the house, causing $45,000 in damages to the kitchen and dining room, said Ed Ernst, Halfway assistant chief.

The rest of the building received extensive heat and smoke damage.

An occupant, Ali Robinson, discovered the fire and fled the house. He called 911 from a cordless phone. A second occupant was not home at the time of the fire.

Advertisement

Robinson sat on a ledge near the driveway as firefighters milled around the structure. The blaze took firefighters 15 minutes to extinguish and fans were later used to air out smoke from inside.

Ernst said the home was not habitable.

Firefighters examined the remains of the melted metal pan after firefighters extinguished the blaze. It was reduced to a flat circular ring of charred metal.

About 25 firefighters from Halfway and Funkstown responded to the fire along with the Washington County Air Unit and fire police.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|