Man accused in armed robbery faces more charges

June 15, 2000|By MARLO BARNHART

Already accused in a May 28 armed robbery of the AC&T service station on Burhans Boulevard, Marshall Lynn Spigler was charged Tuesday in a similar crime two days later.

The new charges include armed robbery of the AC&T service station on Wesel Boulevard on May 30, robbery, first-degree assault, felony theft and several handgun violations, according to court records.

A bond of $150,000 has been set in each of the two robbery cases but bond has been denied in a pending violation of probation.

Spigler, 37, of no fixed address, has been in custody since June 8 after Hagerstown City Police went to a home at 428 Salem Ave. and found him hiding in the attic.


Shortly before 4 a.m. that day, Hagerstown police got a tip and went to the Salem Avenue home where they were met at the door by Raymond Ellsworth Bussard, who told officers Spigler was not inside and gave them permission to search, according to the police report.

Bussard, 70, was taken into custody and charged with harboring a fugitive and hindering police in an investigation, police said. He was released later that day on personal recognizance, according to court records.

In the May 28 robbery, a white male described as about 34 years old, 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighing 150 pounds escaped with a small amount of cash after pointing a handgun at the store clerk and demanding money from the cash register, police said. The man fled on foot.

On May 30, the AC&T service station at 1615 Wesel Blvd. in Hagerstown was robbed at gunpoint at 8:45 p.m., according to court records.

The two female clerks told police the man partially displayed a small weapon in his waistband and said, "I don't want to hurt you," as he took money from the cash register. He fled out the door and into the woods.

After his apprehension on June 8, Spigler admitted to police that he robbed both AC&Ts, using a toy cap gun in the first robbery and a BB pistol in the second, court records alleged.

Spigler led police to where he stashed the guns and the green jacket he wore in the robberies, court records said.

The Herald-Mail Articles