Advertisement

Landfill project one of county's biggest

June 13, 2000|By SCOTT BUTKI

The Forty West Landfill is one of the biggest projects, both in scope and cost, ever undertaken by the Washington County government, Public Works Director Gary Rohrer said Tuesday.

cont. from front page

Total costs associated with the landfill are expected to reach almost $14 million, Rohrer said. The landfill is scheduled to open around December and is expected to have a life expectency of more than 70 years, he said.

Construction of the Conococheague Industrial Pretreatment Facility, the Conococheague Wastewater Treatment Plant, an administration building and related facilities at the 70/81 Industrial Park cost about $27 million. Rohrer said he considers that a Washington County Sanitary Commission project, not a county project.

The Washington County Sanitary District was taken over by the Washington County government in December 1995.

Rohrer said he believes the 620-foot-long bridge that will provide access to the landfill will be one of the longest county-owned bridges in Maryland.

Advertisement

The new landfill is on the east side of Independence Road, about 1.5 miles east of Rockdale Road, in a bend of Conococheague Creek. An agreement with nearby property owners locked the county into building a bridge connecting the site to U.S. 40 instead of upgrading roads on the same side of the Conococheague as the landfill.

Joseph B. Fay Co. of Pittsburgh has the contract to build the access road to the landfill and the bridge. That work is scheduled for completion on Sept. 1, Rohrer said.

That work will cost about $4.5 million, Rohrer said. The work originally was expected to cost $4.3 million, but the figure rose because of changes and additions, including an 8-foot-tall chain link fence along the bridge, he said.

Rohrer's comments came during a progress report to the Washington County Commissioners on new landfill, which will replace the Resh Sanitary Landfill.

The county expects to receive within a week the needed solid waste permit from the Maryland Department of the Environment, Rohrer said.

C. William Hetzer, which has the contract to prepare the first cell at the landfill for use, began work in early April, Rohrer said.

The contract includes excavating 1.5 million cubic yards, Rohrer said.

As of Tuesday, about 635,000 cubic yards of dirt, or an average of 20,000 cubic yards a day, had been excavated, Rohrer said.

"They have orchestrated one absolutely incredible operation," Rohrer said. "They are really going after this thing in a big way."

The first cell is expected to last about five years, the county said.

Since Resh is expected to fill up and close before the Forty West landfill opens, the county is hauling some of its trash outside the county.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|