Sex offender pleads guilty to boy's assault

June 01, 2000|By MARLO BARNHART

A convicted sex offender's contact with a pre-teen Hagerstown boy was brought to the attention of police by the man's adult daughter, according to Assistant Washington County State's Attorney Duane Gigeous.

"She saw them together and feared for the boy's safety," Gigeous told Washington County Circuit Judge Donald Beachley Thursday.

After pleading guilty to one count of second-degree assault, Glen Edward Conrad Sr., 68, of 19960B National Pike, was sentenced to eight years in prison with all but two years suspended.

"It is important to spare this boy from testifying before a jury," Beachley said. "While the court is not thrilled (with the plea agreement) this is best considering all factors."

Beachley ordered Conrad to be placed on probation for three years upon his release from prison. He was given credit for time served in jail since last fall.


Conrad, who served seven years in prison on a 1985 sodomy conviction in Missouri, was also ordered to register as a sex offender and to seek counseling in that area.

Charges of child abuse and a third-degree sex offense were dropped in exchange for the plea.

The incidents, which occurred between June and September 1999 involved a boy who is now 13, court records said.

In his report, Investigator Kenny Barnhart of the Washington County Sheriff's Department said looked into the matter after getting a call from a citizen.

That citizen turned out to be one of Conrad's daughters, according to Gigeous.

The boy initially told Barnhart nothing happened while he was with Conrad but later confided to his mother that Conrad had touched his genital area on four occasions.

"The boy said he told Conrad to stop each time but he didn't," Gigeous said.

The boy's mother sat with her son in the front row during the hearing and spoke briefly with the judge.

"I would like to have him registered as a sex offender so other kids won't have to go through what my son went through," she said.

"This boy did nothing wrong ... he has nothing to be ashamed of," Gigeous said.

Gigeous said he spent time with the victim and said the boy had always been truthful on a subject that was hard to talk about.

As part of the plea agreement, Conrad was ordered to pay up to $1,500 for counseling for the boy.

Twice married with five children and one stepson, Conrad moved to Missouri in 1969 after he was divorced. He returned to Hagerstown in 1992 after serving his prison sentence in Missouri, Corderman said.

The Herald-Mail Articles