Bond holds murder suspect

May 08, 2000|By LAURA ERNDE

Murder suspect Thomas Clifford Wallace laughed out loud Monday when Washington County Circuit Judge Frederick Wright set his bond at $1 million.

Wallace, 33, said he doesn't have the money to post such a high bond. And he is already serving 12 years in prison on drug and theft charges.

"I'm not going anywhere," he said in court Monday.

State's Attorney Kenneth Long said he wanted to make sure a bond review hearing would be held for Wallace before he is paroled.

"I'm just trying to be cautious," he said.

Wallace is charged with first- and second-degree murder in the 1997 death of Darrius Allen Fetterhoff of Greencastle, Pa.

Fetterhoff, 58, was struck on the head and rolled about 90 feet down an embankment on Conococheague Creek off Broadfording Road, according to police. He was left for dead and wasn't found until nearly a week later.


He died Aug. 28, 1997, in Washington County Hospital.

Wallace was charged once before in Fetterhoff's death, but those charges were dropped in December 1997 when authorities were unable to find a key witness, Clara Elizabeth Miller.

In March 1998, Miller's decomposed body was found in a wooded area in the 900 block of South Burhans Boulevard in Hagerstown. Police said she had been stabbed to death. No one has been charged in her death.

In renewing the charges against Wallace, Long has said he has new evidence, but has declined to elaborate.

Wallace also is charged with first-degree assault, theft over $300, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and theft of a motor vehicle in connection with the death.

The police investigation indicated Fetterhoff dropped his wife off at work on Aug. 20, drove to Hagerstown and picked up Miller.

The two later picked up Wallace and drove to Hopps Landing west of Hagerstown, where Fetterhoff was struck and pushed down an embankment, police alleged.

Fetterhoff's car was driven back toward Hagerstown until it ran out of gas near Salem Avenue just outside of the city, police said. A passing motorist gave Wallace and Miller a ride into town, police said.

Wallace has been locked up since October 1997. He is serving an 11-year sentence at the Maryland Correctional Institution for drug offenses and a one-year sentence for theft.

The Herald-Mail Articles